In a Vase on Monday – The Holiday Bus Returns..again.

It’s that time of year. Time for greens with red accents and a little, um, tropical color from the garden tucked into a festive biscuit (or cookie in US speak) tin. A friend from the UK gifted us with this tin of biscuits several years ago. I love tins and pull this out every December to make a holiday arrangement for my foyer. My husband and I devoured the shortbread in the tin, leaving me wondering if packaged cookies (biscuits) from the UK are better than US cookies? I think they might be, Hobnobs are my favorite cookie to buy, chocolate and made in the UK. As a native of the Southeastern US I think biscuits are for dogs or a simple quick bread/roll served as a side dish. Biscuits are a very important vehicle for gravy in the South.

Back to the vase, now that I am hungry… An overhead view, the ferny foliage is from the Asparagus Fern that pops up in the garden; purple foliage with white flowers is ‘Purple Prince’ Alternanthera; white flowers are from a volunteer Vinca rosea, another garden pop up; bigger red flowers spilling over the tin are Nodding Hibiscus (Malvaviscus arboreus).

Another view: on each side I have ‘Miss Alice’ Bougainvillea in white; a few sprigs of Tropical Red Salvia (Salvia coccinea); and a dash of China Hat (Holmskioldia sanguinea)

The colored foliage at the back of the arrangement looking a bit like flames is from two Crotons in my garden. Crotons are medium sized, extremely colorful shrubs from the South Pacific. They are very common in South Florida. There are a few leaves from ‘Pie Crust’ Croton at the edges and some leaves from ‘Mammey’ Croton mixed in the background. Pie Crust has the rolling leaf margins, you guessed it, like a pie crust. There are a lot of food references in this post; I need to think about what to have for dinner…

Thanks to Cathy at http://www.ramblinginthegarden.wordpress.com for hosting. Follow the link to see more vases.

Happy Holidays from South Florida !!

20 comments on “In a Vase on Monday – The Holiday Bus Returns..again.

I love your bus tin, Amelia, and am happy to see it on its annual outing. The red centres of the bougainvillea are such an asset in linking to the other reds. Lovely, and so appropriate for this time of tear

Very festive arrangement, Amy! Walker’s does make delicious buttery biscuits, yum!

I love seeing your bus every year Amelia! And the close-up at the end is great, seeing all the people sitting on the top deck! Takes me back to when I was little. We used to go to London and see the Christmas lights and the toy shop window displays sometimes, and a trip on a bus or in one of the big cabs was obligatory!
    I also love the floral display in the bus, and was pleased to see the Vinca. It is remarkably like our blue Vinca minor which is an incredibly tough plant that grows in shady woods and spreads like mad. Oh, and I agree. Scottish shortbread is the best ‘cookie’ in the world! (I only wish there was a vegan version of it!) Hope you found something tasty for your dinner! 😉

Your holiday bus is always a welcome sight! Once again, you’ve embellished it beautifully. I’d have never thought of vinca as a holiday flower but it works perfectly in your tropical blend. Once again, you post has made me hungry – at least this time, lunch is pending.

I must agree those cookies are the best. Well, now that you’ve made me hungry…!

I remember your tin and admire how you’ve filled it to overflowing with flowers that echo the colors of the tin. Those Crotons really make it all pop.

Hey, I remember this tin, and, except for the ‘Purple Prince’ Alternanthera, I remember all the material within it.

7. You do have some good Christmas colors in your garden.

8. Timelesslady says:

Love it, perfect touch of Christmas Whimsy in that bus.