In a Vase on Monday – Delicate Dianthus

I have been enjoying the Giant Dianthus plants that I have been keeping on my front porch. I expected them to burn out as soon as the temperatures exceeded 80 degrees. They haven’t, surprising me with fringed flowers in shades of pink almost daily. The snapdragons are still hanging on as well. Laziness and distaste for throwing anything away that might possibly flower made me keep the snaps around. I was rewarded with a few more flowers, dwarf when compared to the earlier ones, but a nice accessory to the delicate dianthus flowers.

The vase belonged to my mother. It was her go-to container for pansies and a perfect size for the dianthus. I am wondering if this was once a jam jar, it has a very jammy vibe. This vase has some wonderful scents, basil flowers, dianthus and salvia; sweet, spicy and herbal. I am enjoying walking by.

The close up:

Giant Dianthus in pink; yellow snaps; a few sprigs of Genovese Basil flowers; ‘White Flame’ Salvia and ‘Golf Beauty’ Craspedia in yellow.

Pink snapdragons, a few sprigs of Tropical Red Salvia in white with Asian Sword Ferns and Asparagus Ferns for greenery.

This is a stuffed jam jar!

Thank you to Cathy for hosting this week (and every week) To see more vase follow this link to her blog. http://www.ramblinginthegarden.wordpress.com

Happy Gardening!!

33 comments on “In a Vase on Monday – Delicate Dianthus

I love how bright and cheerful this is, pink and yellow are so upbeat!

2. Donna Donabella says:

Using a jam jar is so perfect….I love the pink profusion that lasted for your vase. And the added accents of plant and foliage bring it all together. We are getting hot temps this week but we will get back to reality next week.

3. Su says:

Love your jam jar full of flowers. I have a jar just like it, complete with the lid. Your mother was right – it would be perfect for pansies.

Seeing your stuffed jam jar makes me so excited to think of the promise of abundance later on in the season, after the last few months of relative austerity. Did you manage to find out details of the variety of your dianthus and antirrhinum? The two different types of ferns really add to the overall effect today – what a great vase all round!

5. You still have your Golf Beauty going. The winter annuals are winding down.

Someone (another blogger) once told me that pink and yellow flowers shouldn’t be mixed, which came as a surprise to me. I think they combine beautifully as your arrangement demonstrates. I hope you don’t swing into summer too quickly. The forecasters have been predicting 80F temperatures here for several days but, so far, they haven’t hit my area – I hope they take their time reaching you too.

Dianthus are just wonderful flowers. Yours look lovely in this combination.

Is this type of dianthus perennial? Ours, which we have not grown in at least a year, are discarded like cool season annuals, but have potential to survive through summer, and regenerate for autumn.

9. Noelle says:

On first look I thought you arrangement was a large one, but having described your vase I get the scale. I admire the efforts you take to grow cooler temperature plants. I think your vase may have been a cut glass jam container, for the days when ‘posh’ people would decant any condiment into fancy glass or porcelain dishes for use at the dining table or set out buffet style on the sideboard. A sort of fashion statement that started to die out by the end of the twentieth century!

10. Anna says:

I see what you mean about the jammy vibes Amelia and I can just imagine it filled with pansies. Those fringed pinks are so pretty – did you grow them from seed? We might get to just below 70 degrees next week – just for a couple of days 😂

A nice herby mix today Amelia. Does your Basil grow all year round if it is flowering now? I grow it as an annual, sowing in June and it rarely gets a chance to flower as I harvest it constantly all summer! It looks lovely in a vase though, so perhaps I should let a bit flower this summer. 😃

• Thanks Cathy I grow basil year round, the ones flowering were planted in December I started a new batch a couple of weeks ago. Dill and thyme are winter only, oregano, rosemary and bay leaves year round. The scent from the flowers was wonderful, the plants peter out after four months or so.