In a Vase on Monday – Fall Tapestry

While searching for seasonality in my garden on Sunday, I came up with several autumnal examples. It brought to mind my mother’s favorite fall annual planting schemes. She called them ‘tapestry colors’ usually done with pansies and kales in shades of purple, gold and pink. “Antique Shades” was the favored color mix of pansies.

Serving as a vase this Monday is a Bromeliad leaf wrapped pickle jar from a couple of weeks ago that was left to dry and repurposed for a different look. This looks a bit like wood to me.

Closer views:

Floaty seed heads of Muhly Grass (Muhlbergia capillaris) provide background and are a true indicator of fall in South Florida. The deep purple berries are from Spicewood (Calyptranthes pallens), a native shrub I am not impressed with thus far. Reportedly has a wonderful spicy scent – I haven’t caught a whiff of this yet and it was a real pain to get established, growing to maybe 3 feet in seven years. I won’t ask it to leave the garden, but wouldn’t buy another. Salmon panicles in the back are dried Miniata Bromeliad flowers (Aechmea miniata) these are bright red and cobalt blue when fresh. Yellow flowers are from Thyrallis (Galphimia glauca) I use this as a shrub in my butterfly garden. Pink fuzzies are from Dwarf Chenille Plant (Acalphya pendula), I have this spilling out of a container – though it can be used as a groundcover here.

Red and white flowers are from Red Shrimp Plant (Justicia brandegeana). Tiny bits of purple peeking out are Mona Lavendar Plectranthus. The green berries are from a Tree Spinach (Cnidoscolus aconitifolius). A few Bidens alba are lurking in the mass of flowers – I may have gotten carried away with the Chenille Plant, so fuzzy and fun to arrange.

Happy Monday and Happy Gardening to all. Thanks to Cathy at http://www.ramblinginthegarden.wordpress.com for hosting this Monday outpouring of floral bliss. Follow the link to see more vases.

17 comments on “In a Vase on Monday – Fall Tapestry

Wow, full of interesting texture. I like those salmon dried Miniata Bromeliad flowers and who can resist your Chenille! Must be a good year for Pink Muhly. I’ve seen some lovely stands of it around town.

Sweet arrangement, Amy. I love all that fluffy chenille!

3. Noelle M says:

I would want to caress the Chenille for sure. Altogether a charming arrangement.

4. I am in agreement and the Chenille really caught my eye.

Isn’t Nature wonderful? Such a range of colour and form, and you amassed your own collection of wonders! I love the way you use leaves to wrap containers for a ‘vase’ – it’s so effective.

The Mulhy grass and pettable Chenille blooms made this arrangement for me, although I think the other additions did a great job conjuring an image of your mother’s favorite ‘Antique’ pansies. The latter were a once a fall favorite of mine too but I don’t grow many pansies anymore as they generally don’t survive long.

Are the leaves that look like Indian laurel those of the spicewood? Spicewood berries look like those of camphor.