Six on Saturday – January Fun

Saturdays are more fun when I share six items of interest from my South Florida garden. Florida means flowery in Spanish and we have abundant flowers year round here. Here are a few flowers and colorful plants appearing in January.

Flowers on the White Geiger (Cordia boisseriei). This semi evergreen small tree produces flowers on a whim, usually during the winter.

Snake Plants, Mother in Law Tongues, all Sanseviera flower in winter. These grow wild in South Florida and are considered invasive. The flowers have a lovely, sweet scent and don’t last very long.

The Jurassic, huge (5 feet across) Lotusleaf Begonia (Begonia nelumbo) is shooting up buds.

Winter color on a Neoregelia Bromeliad. This green Bromeliad, a found plant, has been in the garden for several years. This is the first time it has shown color, allowing me to begin figuring out what it is. Where I found it, I do not recall!

Miss Alice Bougainvillea is flowering again and is sporting a Tillandsia bromeliad on her trunks.

A flower spike on Flapjack Kalanchoes. These have a nice fragrance and eventually turn into little plants.

That’s my six on this January Saturday. To see more SOS posts, visit http://www.thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com.

Happy Gardening!!

20 comments on “Six on Saturday – January Fun

1. I love that White Geiger! Are the flowers as large as they seem to be in the photo?

2. fredgardener says:

I’m not lucky enough to have flapjack kalanchoe flowers , I’ll probably have to wait a little longer…
    About sansevierias, we manage to have flowers here when they are grown as houseplants. My sister has a beautiful one that blooms every year, mine is still young.
    A very good choice again this week and like Chris said, lovely white Geiger flowers !

Snake plant used to be a popular houseplant, and is sometimes released into landscapes in Southern California. There are quite a few interesting cultivars of it now. Bloom is rare, and when it happens, people go looking for the source of the fragrance. I believe that this genus was reclassified as Dracaena.

Green growing things and flowers, I’m sooooo envious!

5. It’s all so very lovely. I learned something new today too. I had no idea that Sanseviera grows wild and is an invasive in your area. I’ve been growing it in pots as a houseplant here in Wisconsin and had no idea that it flowers.

6. Roguegarden says:

The giant begonia is a wonder to behold. Delighted by the air plant growing on your bougainvillea trunk. Sadly, my flapjack kalanchoe perished in last winter’s wet and cold weather. I would love to see a picture of the plantlets when they begin to form.

7. Chloris says:

Always a treat to see your interesting blooms. I didn’t know you could get the Geiger plant in white, I have only seen it in yellow. That giant begonia is amazing. And who knew that Sanseveria had frarant flowers?

Happy Saturday Amy. Looks a little wet there. The Flapjack Kalanchoe is neat. Had to google it to see why it is called flapjack–good name.

9. I also did not know Sanseveria blooms. Mine 20 year old plant is living in a pot in the wooded area. It is always a treat to have flowers in the winter.

10. What wonderful things you share with us! I was please to see your flowering sanseviera, so now I know what to expect. That’s a spectacular begonia to have in the garden!