Six on Saturday – Anticipation

Saturday again in South Florida. Tropical Depression Number 19 is passing a little more than 100 miles south of my garden, so it is a rainy and windy day. The peak of Atlantic hurricane season is September 10, all downhill from here. Hopefully, I think there are 4 storms in various stages of formation between here and Africa. I am anticipating the end of hurricane season and the beginning of the gardening season. Joining The Propagator today for his SOS meme. Follow the link to see more SOS! http://www.thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com

I have been pruning in anticipation of cooler weather. Alan the greyhound is enjoying the fruits of my labor in the shade of the newly lifted canopy of the White Geiger tree (Cordia boissieri)

Buds on the White Cattleya Orchids. These always seem to flower on September 15. It’s a large, fragrant white orchid my neighbor gave me. And it is rare for me not to kill orchids, so I am looking forward to this one.

I pruned the Passionfruit vine out of the Cuban Avocado tree. This seems absurdly tropical even to me. I have had some passionfruit this year. The Avocado has been in the garden for four years and should produce fruit in its fifth year. Anticipating Guacamole!!

Yellow Pear Tomato seedlings, I have been hardening these off in the sun in anticipation of planting them outside in a couple of weeks.

Leonitis nepetifolia seedlings, I grew more of these this year as I enjoyed them so much last winter. Fortunately, easy to grow from seed. I am not have so much luck with Gallardia, which seems odd…conditions may be too cushy in the moist seed mix?

These may look pretty, but they are insidious. Called Florida Snow, they grow in lawns and are so prolific it looks like snow. I have been pulling mountains of these beauties out before they seed.

That is my six this Saturday.

Happy Gardening!!

18 comments on “Six on Saturday – Anticipation

1. I’m looking forward to your orchid bloom. I gave up on growing them. Are you getting tired of these storms? I am ready for it to end.

2. I am losing my battle against weeds. I am beat down Queen.

3. March Picker says:

I’d never heard of Florida Snow weed. Somehow the treacherous ones hide themselves in beauty…

Yes, this is weed seed season. Scalp ’em quick! 😉
    Bet you’re looking forward to more palatable weather soon. We all deserve a break!

5. janesmudgeegarden says:

It seems so strange to me to have a hurricane ‘season’, but then we have a fire season, so perhaps I shouldn’t be so surprised. I look forward to seeing the flowers on the orchid. I’ve never been successful at growing them myself and admire anyone who can.
    I haven’t heard of Cuban avocados so I looked it up. They are massive! We really only get two types here and I had no idea there are so many others.

Florida snow really does look pretty.
    Alan looks like a deer.

7. cavershamjj says:

pretty weed! shame it is so badly behaved.

8. I had to Google ‘Leonitis nepetifolia’ to learn more about it. I can see why you enjoy it so much. Love your six!

9. Pádraig says:

Florida Snow? Seems like a contradiction! 🤔 I hope your garden is spared from those orger storms so that gardening can start real soon. Beir bua, a chara. 🇮🇪