In A Vase On Monday – Local Color

Strange as it may seem, pink is a holiday color in South Florida. Holiday pinks are most prominently manifested in a never ending parade of flamingo themed Christmas decor. My street features flamingos as Mr and Mrs Claus giving presents, flamingos with candy canes and a sleigh pulled by eight tiny flamingos in red capes. Last year I mentioned the flamingos in red capes and a fellow blogger who shall remain unnamed suggested I had overquaffed the eggnog. This year I have pictures.

As unique as this may seem, there is another sleigh/flamingo configuration around the corner twice the size done entirely with lights – no capes.

My pink holiday vase features, in pink, the Shell Ginger (Alpinia zerumbet). The Shell Ginger was quite shredded by Hurricane Irma, I decided to leave it and am being rewarded with flowers about half the usual size, puzzling, but it is nice to have the flowers and there are many more on the plant. The grey flowers are from the succulent Flapjack Kalanchoe, the  off white flowers from the mystery plant finally identified by a blog friend of Eliza’s as  Wireweed, a Florida wildflower.

I added local color this weekend by making a wreath using components from my garden. No pink or pink flamingos.

The yellow and red flowers forming the ring are from Blanchetiana Bromeliad, the green leaves wrapping the wreath are from a Pandanus, species unknown. I think this will last through New Years.

24 comments on “In A Vase On Monday – Local Color

1. Christina says:

The flamingo’s are unbelievable so photographic evidence was a good feature! Where on earth does this ‘tradition’ come from? Really love your wreath though; beautifully tasteful using your local plants.

2. Those flamingos are most amusing, Beautiful wreath

3. I love that wreath. You Bromeliads do really well, I lucky to get a single flower from them. And the flamingos are too cute.

I love your wreath! It is a perfect, locally sourced Christmas decoration. I say better than pink flamingoes, though your neighbors are expressing themselves in a distinctly Floridian manner. 🙂
    The Shell Ginger is lovely (your version of a pink flamingo? 😉 ) amid the frosty Kalanchoe and Wireweed. Happy Holidays!

5. Peter/Outlaw says:

Your wreath is stunning & the pink holiday ginger arrangement is very sweet. The red caped flamingo sleigh propulsion team made me laugh out loud. May your holidays be equally full of mirth!

It makes you wonder if they are tongue in cheek creations, or deadly serious… 😉 I love the effectiveness of wrapping leaves around the flowers for the wreath – and of course it makes sense to use the materials that are to hand, like the holly and ivy I used. Thanks for sharing

Your wreath is spectacular, Amelia! Oh, to have the abundance of bromeliad flowers necessary to create it. The vase is beautiful too. I see no reason that pink can’t be a holiday color and, while I’m not normally fond of pink flamingo garden decorations, I DO like them in festive holiday attire. I have a gnome that comes out only at Christmas so maybe next year I’ll add a few flamingos (although my husband may protest further intrusions on his garage storage space).

Best wishes for a merry Christmas!

• Thank you, Kris. I have mixed feelings about the flamingos and the yard that photo was taken from must have a storage warehouse! My husband also highly values his garage space, my outdoor cushions encroach on his car stuff. Merry Christmas to you!

8. I didn’t realize that pink was a Christmas colour in florida, but I LOVE all your creations. Festive to beat the band!

I love the use of the broad grass leaves for the wreath, as well as the pretty pink ginger flower in your vase. Glad you could identify the white weed at last a sI know how annoying it is when you can’t put a name on something. Those flamingoes are so funny – my sister visited Florida years ago and brought back a flamingo Christmas tree decoration!

• Thank you, the leaves are from Pandanus, common name Screw Pine, not a grass – it is what Hawaiians use to make the roofs on Tiki Huts. The white weed is very well behaved! Though I think it may be a relative of your Persicaria.