In a Vase on Monday – Forget Me Nots

I am loving the blue Chinese Forget Me Nots (Cynoglossum amiable) I planted for cutting in January. I started cutting them last week and they last almost a week in a vase. This variety is recommended by Floret Flower Farm, a seed and advice supplier in the northwestern US. Floret claims long stemmed flowers may be harvested for six weeks and advise planting two crops one month apart to extend the season. I will know if this holds true in South Florida in another week or two. They may burn up in our May heat.

Plants and flowers in the garden. I used bamboo stakes to keep the rabbits away.

The rest of the vase:

The bright blue flowers – the Chinese Forget Me Nots. Another addition to cutting flowers this year – White Nigella (N. damascena) and seedheads. I have some pale blue striped versions of the Nigella as well, so happy; peach spikes are Tropical Red Salvia (Salvia coccinea); orange tubes are from the Firebush (Hamelia patens).

Another view:

White spikes are Tropical Red Salvia (Salvia coccinea) wearing wedding attire; varigated foliage is Varigated Flax Lily (Dianella)

The vase is a mason jar with a bit of raffia.

Thanks to Cathy at http://www.ramblinginthegarden.wordpress.com for hosting. Follow the link to see more vases.

Happy Gardening!!

17 comments on “In a Vase on Monday – Forget Me Nots

1. Your Chinese Forget Me Nots have done so well. I grew them before and maybe I will try them again.

Such a regal blue! Love the cottage look, perfect in a mason jar with raffia bow… hope the heat holds off for you and the garden!

3. Noelle says:

Isn’t blue just the perfect colour and you have balanced it beautifully with other colours, and note particularly how well it goes with the orange.

Your ‘Chinese Forget Me Nots’ look very similar to a UK wild flower commonly called green alkanet, although the latter is in the borage family and not related as far as I know. The strikingly blue flowers work really well with the firebush and nigella – most effective 👍

I love the bright blue of that forget-me-not but Cynoglossum! Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me when I tried it. I ordered a different forget-me-now, Anchusa azureus, from Annie’s Annuals. It just started blooming but at the moment it’s still dinky 😦

The raffia adds a lovely touch to your blue arrangement. Love the forget-me-nots. I have seeds somewhere that I meant to plant (!) but now I have know idea what kind they are. I’ve heard they can’t become a nuisance by spreading aggressively. Of course, my control on that right now is to keep them in the seed packet. Have a good week Amy.

I do like your forget-me-nots. They have thicker, sturdier stems than ours. Perfect for picking! Love the vase – the various spiky leaves you use in many of your vases are always striking, and these variegated ones are lovely. 😃

8. Donna Donabella says:

Love blue flowers….this is great in the vase.

Okay, that forget-me-not did not look right to my. Now I know why. I do not believe that I have ever seen it directly. Common forget-me-not is naturalized here, and houndstongue (which is another species of Cynoglossum) is native.