In a Vase on Monday – Hound Inspired

My greyhound, Zepp had an accident last week. While engaged in horse (er, greyhound) play with Fiona in the backyard he tore his dew claw. This resulted in a broken nail that had to be trimmed (while sedated) and a chartreuse green wrap. I finally let him out to sit in the dirt (it was dry enough). He did not enjoy having his paw wrapped in Press n Seal plastic wrap while the ground was wet.

Zepp had his nail wrapped for three days and bounced back miraculously without a misstep. He lost his wrap and I found a salsa jar on the counter and decided to wrap a vase in chartreuse.

The vase:

This is a glass salsa jar (extra large from Aldi) wrapped with a new Lemon Blanchetiana Bromeliad leaf and a dried leaf of the same plant from an earlier vase. The dried leaf looks a bit like bamboo flooring.

The ingredients:

The purple berries are Beautyberries (Calliocarpa americana). If I can find a recipe for a small amount of Beautyberry Jam I may try it, there are a lot of berries. The orange tubular flowers are from the Firebush (Hamelia patens); bigger orange flowers are Parrotflowers (Heliconia psittacorum); white flowers are Miss Alice Bougainvillea.

Zepp is back to full racing speed and hopefully stays out of trouble for a while. Inspiration comes from the oddest places.

As always, thanks to Cathy at http://www.ramblinginthegarden.wordpress.com for hosting IAVOM. Follow the link to find more vases.

Happy Fall, Ya’ll.

22 comments on “In a Vase on Monday – Hound Inspired

Love the story behind your inspiration, except for the pain poor Zepp had to deal with, ouch. Glad he has mended well.

Well, that was a most unexpected inspiration for your vase, Amy, and I am glad to hear the patient is himself again now 👍 Wrapping the jar to act as a vase is such a brilliant way to set the contents off, and I really love the shape of the arrangement. I can’t quite put into words why it comes together so well, but it is certainly to do with the shape and balance of the contents…absolutely lovely, and undoubtedly one of my favourites

Ha! Your story is proof positive that inspiration may be found everywhere! I love the combination of orange and purple. As usual, I’m envious of the distinctive parrotflowers.

4. Poor doggy. The Beautyberries really pop. Ours are ripening in the woods.

Inspiration comes from unexpected places. Glad Zeff is better. He is a good muse. The arrangement worked out great.

6. Angie says:

I love the look of the vase with the wrapped leaves. So tropical. And it is perfect for the combination of flowers that you chose.

Glad Zepp made such a speedy recovery! I had no idea you have Aldi in the US too! Love the wrap and the parrot flowers. The pale bougainvillea foliage looks so pretty in this arrangement too.

8. Noelle M says:

Modern Art: medium flowers, and many thanks to your Muse.

Beautyberry! You know, Woodlandgnome of https://forestgardenblog.wordpress.com/ is sending me some! Not only am I finally getting beautyberry, but they are seedlings from plants that are native to Williamsburn in Virginia (rather than garden varieties)! I had been procrastinating about getting some for a long time, but now they will be on their way whether or not I am ready for them. I will be certain to make them happy here.

10. janesmudgeegarden says:

That vase is a work of art!