In a Vase on Monday – Biscuit Bus Again

It’s back! The holiday bus biscuit tin makes its fourth appearance in a vase on Monday. This year, I looked for different plants from previous years – the result, a totally different combination of textures and colors and the first appearance of Florida’s native Poinsettia in a vase.

I love tins and this is a favorite, a friend from the UK brought it over as a gift for my husband. The shortbread cookies were consumed in short order – and it became a vase in December 2015, 2016 and last year.

A closer view:

The white flowers are “Miss Alice” Bougainvillea; chartreuse ‘flower’ is a fading red Guzmania Bromeliad; the native Florida Poinsettia is the green cut foliage with the pink markings; grey foliage is from Barometer Bush (Luecophyllum frutescens); red flowers are Firecracker Plant (Russelia equisetifolium); ferns are Boston Fern (Nephrolepsis exaltata); and a few leaves of Piecrust Croton (darker foliage in picture above)

The 2019 version:

The 2016 Version
The Original Bus 2015

Interesting to look back on past buses! Our tabletop Christmas tree is up with an edited collection of memory inspiring ornaments. I decided on a tabletop tree due to an addition to our family, meet Zepp the Greyhound. He retired from racing at The Palm Beach Kennels on November 10, 2020. It seems a tree in the house might be a bit much for him right now. For the Led Zeppelin fans among us, my husband included, the song ‘Black Dog’ inspired his name.

Happy Holidays to all and thanks to Cathy, at ramblinginthegarden.wordpress.com for hosting. Follow the link to see more vases.

25 comments on “In a Vase on Monday – Biscuit Bus Again

1. I love that you can change up all your bus arrangements. I’ll be looking for next year’s. Is it hard for the dogs to adapt to life in a house? How old are they when they retire? Do you have to take them for long runs? I have lots of questions.

• Thank you, there is a lot of red, green and white in the garden in December – a good mash up for the holidays. I have had greyhounds since 98..they adapt well and are usually very happy to retire, Zepp is enjoying walks, squirrel chases, treats and steps are a new thing and he does not like the tile in the kitchen! too slippery. I have one who never raced – a smart one, she refuses to run with other dogs and I had one that raced til he was 5. Zepp is 4. They ran him til he could no longer run. I walk them less than a mile every morning. I have always worked at home and enjoy taking the dogs out during the day for a break.

I like your latest version a lot. Zepp looks just the thing to make your holidays complete.

As soon as you mentioned the bus I remembered it from previous years – interesting to compare the different arrangements, and the colours of the bus are a great invitation for adding Christmas blooms and foliage. Yet another glorious busload 😊 I don’t remember this particular song from LZ but assumed from the title It would somehow refer to depression – although I wouldn’t have made that connection back then! – but I have checked the lyrics and it is nothing like that at all!

Beautiful seasonal arrangement – I love that tin, this might be your best one yet. πŸ™‚
    Congrats on your new addition – how’s he settling in?

I do love that bus, and you’ve made good use of it again this year. I really like the white bougainvillea too and seeing it now has me thinking it might be just the right plant to fill the space formerly occupied by the huge (dead) Toyon. It’s nice to meet Zepp – I hope you and he are settling in comfortably.

• Thank you, Kris. I like the lack of thorns on Miss Alice. I just looked up a Toyon, reminds me of Brazilian Pepper, also called Christmas berry. Zepp, being a dog, is coming up with some weird things to do!! we are working on it.

6. Chloris says:

I have always had a thing about tins too. Oh yes, I remember your bus. You have packed it full of glorious blooms. It looks very festive. I am crazy about the Fire cracker plant.
    I hope you have many years of happy companionship with your new boy.

7. Whimsically beautiful! I love all of the bus arrangements, but this year’s is my favorite.

Ooh, I love seeing your holiday bus every year! And such a gorgeous selection of flowers too. Interesting to see your native Poinsettia. It all looks really cheery and festive. πŸ˜ƒπŸŽ„πŸ˜ƒ

I was not aware of a poinsettia that is native to Florida.