In A Vase on Monday – Branching Out

20190512_110304-1

I am madly trying to get the gardens straightened up before summer starts scorching me, causing retreat to the air conditioning thus causing the weeds to reach Jurassic proportions. While cleaning up I noticed two palm seedlings growing about a foot away from my house. Much too close for comfort.

Palms being monocots are easily gotten rid of by cutting off their one growing point, the apical meristem. Then, you can put the palm fronds in a vase on Monday and join Cathy’s meme at Link to meme to see more vases. I did exactly that and cut a few branches from some flowering shrubs that needed it and then looked around for some accenting flowers.

20190512_110253-1

The result is a big vase in my foyer this Monday. The whole arrangement is about 3 feet tall, the vase a Christmas gift from my husband some years ago.

In my big vase are: fronds from seedlings of the Sabal Palm (Palmetto sabal); orange and red flowers are from two different Firebush (Hamelia patens and var. patens). I may have the only pollarded tree form Firebush in Florida. The blue flowers are from the Plumbago shrub (Plumbago auriculata), a pretty and utterly indestructible shrub; the white flowers are from the White Geiger (Cordia boissieri), a tree native to Mexico.

20190512_110133-1

Maybe this is upcycling instead of recycling prunings. Hmm.

A Belated Happy Mother’s Day to all.

Advertisements

34 comments on “In A Vase on Monday – Branching Out

1. A good use for your palms. I know the feeling of getting the garden work done before the heat.

2. Christina says:

Always good to be able to use things that you’re going to cut anyway. The palm fronds are the perfect foliage accent. Btw Does Plumbago last long in a vase?

3. Anonymous says:

Looks great Amy. You always create cool stuff! Enjoyed our lunch when you were here. It is always nice to see the team.

Definitely upcycling! I love the pale blue, orange and white color mix and the palm fronds add just the right element of drama.

My, that’s a big vase, and a tropical one today too! What sort of seeds does the palm have – are they huge? Thanks for sharing

Another great vase for the spa! 🙂 Nice color combination and the placement feels abundant, but not overly full.
    I can imagine you scramble more than I to get the gardening done before the heat arrives. We still have 6-8 weeks to go. Although, I wonder if it ever will warm up. We’re stuck in a cool pattern and snow/sleet is forecast tonight for the higher elevations. Brrr.

7. Three foot tall? Boy that’s quite an arrangement. Great recycling of the palms.

8. Chloris says:

What a wonderfully dramatic arrangement, I love it. I’m trying to get my head round the idea of unwanted self -seeded palm trees. Oh and 90 degrees. You really do live in an alternative Universe.

• Thank you, Florida is an alternative Universe…the latest weird news story – a woman pulled over for a traffic violation had a baby alligator in her pants. Not kidding. I really need to post the palm flowers and seeds – truly interesting.

I really love your vase today Amy! The palm seedlings must have been some size for those fronds to be cut. I saw a Plumbago in the garden centre today – sold as annuals here as it is hard to keep them through the winter in a heated house. I was tempted, but we have no shelter from wind and they looked so delicate! And yet you say they are indestructible? I will stick to the reliable Pelargoniums for my summer displays again!

I like this arrangement a lot. The palms create a strong backdrop and you have an interesting color range that works great. I love the Plumbago—can never keep it alive here.

The last thing I need is another palm, but I intend to eventually get the Sabal minor ‘McCurtain from Oklahoma, just for bragging rights. Since there is only one palm that is native to California, and only one palm that is native to Hawaii, Oklahoma has as many native palms as California and Hawaii! Anyway, I have never seen the Sabal palmetto.